Did you know regular maintenance of your HVAC System is beneficial to the life and operation of your equipment!
A few other tips for year round is to make sure your heating/cooling vents and return air grilles are clear of furniture so that the air can flow smoothly around. Its a good idea to remove the grilles and vacuum them front and back to remove dirt, dust and dander. Also while the grilles are off vacuum down into the heating duct or return air to remove any cob webs (you may be surprised!) and dirt caught in them.
What a gorgeous winter morning to wake up to, at least in our part of Ontario! The temperature a cool yet refreshing -7 with light snow flakes falling.
Please take advantage of this “warmer” winter weather to get outside and ensure the snow is properly cleared around all your vents for your home. This includes dryer vents as well as your heating appliances (furnace, boiler, fireplace) and hot water heater.
The picture below is a photo of the intake and exhaust vents for a forced air furnace. The exhaust is straight out, intake points down. If your vents are blocked they can cause the equipment to not function properly or not work altogether.
Please also check your filters. A blocked filter will cause your furnace and HRV to work much harder than it is designed to do and possibly over heat. This can cause premature break down of the appliance and reduced life. It is recommended to have your system maintained and cleaned at least once every 2 years while changing your filters every 2-4 months, more often in the heating season.
Don’t forget your plumbing system! Is your basement currently heated? If you have forced air heating in your home having a duct run off the furnace and into your basement – even if its unfinished, will help your mechanical room stay warm and prevent pipes from freezing. Ensure all outside taps are shut off from the inside and the taps are open outside.
Remember to be safe while out driving on the roads! Ensure your windshield is cleared properly, you have a snow brush in your car, your gas tank is full or at least over half full and you are dressed for the weather! Also very helpful if you have a blanket – just in case and a cell phone (fully charged or with a charger in your vehicle).
Enjoy… a photo from yesterday morning!
Spring is here and Summer is very much on the way!
Ensure your home heating and cooling system is running efficiently !
Give us a call to book your Cleaning and Servicing for our low rate of $139.00 + HST!
Trust your equipment to a company that has been in business since 1948 and who has trained and licensed technicians!
We are the Home Comfort People Who Service What We Sell & More!
Ensuring your system is properly cleaned and serviced each year will not only operate more efficiently it will also assist in the control of allergies which affect so many of us in the spring. A properly cleaned system combined with changing your filter regularly will save you money!
We also recommend having your ducts cleaned every few years – give our office a call to book your cleaning and servicing and we can also recommend who to rely on for your duct cleaning as well!
With this gorgeous spring weather many of us have had our heating systems turned off… until yesterday that is! We held off as long as we could, however at bedtime last night we had to turn the furnace back on. Our fireplace has also been running the odd time in the basement for the past couple weeks.
Now is a great time to ensure that your heating system is in tip top shape for heating season next year. Of course with cleaning and servicing there is no guarantee nothing will happen, however by having your equipment properly maintained and cleaned will not only save you in energy costs but also be cleaner in your home.
Indoor Spring Cleaning Tips
- Wipe down all your walls, lights and fans
- Dust shelves, door ways, trim, windows, art work/photos and around computers
- Dust or clean window coverings and window sills
- Clean windows & wash your window and door screens
- Clean behind your fridge & vacuum off the back
- Clean out and organize cupboards and fridge/freezer
- Change batteries in your smoke and CO detectors
- Check for any leaking taps or pipes
- Vacuum and clean bathroom fans
- Check grout on tiles, bathtub & shower – regrout if cracking
- Change or wash filters in your Furnace, Air Conditioner and HRV
- Schedule cleaning & servicing on your heating and cooling appliances
- Ensure furniture is moved away from registers – cold and hot air to ensure proper circulation
- Remove the cover from your Air Conditioner
- Clean area rugs (shampoo if necessary) and give furniture a good cleaning
- Declutter! Go through paper, recycle or file. Closets – coat closets, clothes closets. Donate things that no longer fit. Scan any paper work and then shred. Go through kids toys, garbage broken ones and donate any they no longer play with.
- Ensure your dryer vent is cleaned out and give your washer a good cleaning
- Visually inspect your Hot Water Heater, Furnace, Air Conditioner, Water Softener and any other plumbing or heating appliance to familiarize yourself with their sounds and ensure there are no visible leaks. *we do not recommend homeowners taking these appliances apart in anyway please leave the cleaning & servicing to a professional – home owners should perform visual inspections to ensure there is no water leaking or making unusual sounds.
Don’t forget your outdoors Spring Cleaning tasks … check out the tips over at the Reliance Home Comfort Blog – The Outdoor Spring Cleaning Checklist.