Lennox Comfort Matters Spring 2011
Nasties you’re breathing (and what to do about them)
1. Mold spores, which can be bad for both your health and your home furnishings. Mold thrives where there is too much moisture and natural fibers to feed the spores. To avoid the musty odors, window condensation and wood warping that can result from mold growth, see our online guide. Pairing a dehumidification system and air cleaner provides the best results for mold control.
2. Pet dander, which can stay airborne for hours. Use a brush to catch pets’ loose fur and bathe animals frequently. Air cleaners can also trap pet dander.
3. Unpleasant odors that can linger. Run an exhaust fan in the kitchen or bath to reduce excess humidity and odors, but don’t forget to turn it off afterwards.
4. Dust, and the irritating mites that live in it. Use a damp cloth to pick up dust instead of simply stirring up particles. Wash sheets at least once a week in hot water. Change your furnace and air conditioning filter once a month to control dust.
5. Ozone, ironically from something you use to clear the air. Many electronic particle air cleaners can actually produce ground-level ozone, a manmade pollutant that can aggravate asthma or bronchitis. Rest assured that Lennox Healthy Climate® air systems DO NOT produce harmful ozone.
6. Bacteria, some of which can cause serious illnesses. Wash fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly, and clean sink drains twice a week with an antibacterial solution. Limit unwanted moisture throughout your home.
7. Pollen, triggering asthma or hay fever symptoms. Change clothes when you come home at the end of the day, and remove your shoes when you enter the house. A HEPA air filter can help clear the air effectively.
8. Mildew, a problem with high humidity. Keep your home’s humidity levels between 30% and 60% to control mildew; run your air conditioner to help reduce unwanted moisture, and install a dehumidification system.
9. Viruses, which spread under the right conditions. The same conditions that can cause mildew to spread – poor ventilation and too much moisture in the home – should also be addressed to control the viruses that can worsen sore throats, asthma and other respiratory problems.
10. Chemical vapors that lead to headaches, dizziness and respiratory problems. Be sure to air out dry-cleaned clothes before hanging them in your closet. Also avoid using scented deodorizers, and consider a PureAir™ air purification system that cleans your home’s air better than any other single system you can buy.
The above information is courtesy of Lennox
For more details on Lennox® products or to locate a Lennox Dealer near you, visit us online at JJ McLellan – Premier Lennox Dealer